Skip to main content

Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle

Fairbanks is my favorite city so far.  It's not too big and has beautiful crystal clear and clean skies.  There's so much history here and everyone I've met has been welcoming and very friendly.   We have 4 friends here already!  One is keeping Hydro for us tomorrow while we go visit the Arctic Circle!  More on that later. . . time to find another great restaurant now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycling blog?

Although the name is the same, I'm going to change the format of this blog a little.  As a safety net, I  will use it keep followers informed of our cruising plans and locations while on our boat, Konocti Bay.  Last year as we were cruising through some very isolated areas of Canada, it was clear that we planned with the winds, weather, charts and tides and most of the time no one knew where we were.  Probably not a great idea. . . . I'm not sure how many followers are on this blog, nor how these come to you.  However, I'm hoping a few are following at times.  Please take a moment to reply, send an email or text so I have an idea who I need to invite to view the postings.  Also, if you don't care to read this blog, just figure out how to delete yourself.  It won't hurt my feelings.  I tried, but it doesn't seem obvious from my perspective (and should be easy, right?). We are back in Washington now - blustery and cool and rainy at times. ...

Butchart Gardens

Butchart Gardens was a place we've heard lots about.  Since it sounded so commercial we hesitated.  However, we really enjoyed our time there.  Hydro was absolutely perfect.  He greeted everyone and allowed petting - okay, he encouraged petting!  I got so many compliments on how well-mannered he was.  He must have been exhausted when we took him back to the car after such great behavior! We are still on Vancouver Island - in the town of Campbell River which is 1/2 way to the north.  Tomorrow we will leave this area for the far north!

Bears and more bears!

1st mama bear fishing with 2 cubs Cubs on a rock watching the people This was the second bear - one muscular mama with her fish Bringing fish to shore - the babies are eating.  There are 3. The smallest cub is next to the rock at the center at river's edge.  He was significantly smaller and much lighter in color - but well fed! We are in Haines Alaska, known for a huge bunch of eagles in residence.  But we found bears!  These are called brown bears in Alaska, but are the same as the grizzly bears we see in the lower 48 - only bigger.  We drove to a lake a few miles from here and found a bunch of fishermen in the water and people on shore with cameras.  I got out of the truck and Ed went to find a place to turn around.  A mother bear was in the water fishing with her 2 cubs on some rocks - they were cute and funny.  Playfully they grabbed things out of the water, then fell off the rocks.  One look from Mom and they scrambled bac...